Click to set custom HTML
Once we got into tearing up the floor we found a whole lot of rot! So bad that our bathtub was hanging on rotted joists!! We could of fell through! Hubs being a contractor said we are gonna have to gut it! OH lord we had company coming in 7 days! I started to panic! Hubs was like it will be fine we got this. He was NOT thrilled that it had turned into such a major reno but he also knew it had to be done!
So the demo began! I kept picturing Chip Gaines in my head during the demo! DEMO DAY!
There were several layers of plywood and old flooring. That took a whole day to get through all that!
Look at what our tub was sitting on! Ughh! There were rotten studs and floor joists all around the tub area. So we tore out the sheet rock and look what was underneath!!
Shiplap! Well it was actually the old wood they had put under the original siding. The bath was added later so this was an outside wall. Unfortunately we couldn't use this as it was in rough shape and had huge holes in it and was only on two walls. Bummer!
SO we sheet rocked over it. Then we used 3/8" sanded plywood which was ripped down to 5 1/2" strips. We used a nail gun to adhere it to the studs. Creating our own shiplap. Which we primed with Zinsser's 123 water based primer. Love Zinsser's!
We then painted it. We chose a sprayer as it made it so much easier with getting in the cracks too!
My son reframed our window for us. He is very much a perfectionist so he made it look like a farmhouse style for us. We didn't have a whole lot of trim with as high as the window was set originally. I love it though!
The ceiling we decided to use a product we found at Menards and I hear Home Depot carries it too. It is called Faux shiplap and comes in a couple different colors. It looks rustic and old. One thing I do want to say about this product though is it is made from particle board so we were concerned about moisture. So I came up with the idea to shellac the back thoroughly! Then once installed I put a clear coat of General Finishes Topcoat to seal it thoroughly,
Here is a close up of it installed. Very easy to install too. It kind of clicks together and we used construction adhesive and a nail gun to secure.
Next was the floors we went with a vinyl waterproof plank. Super easy to lay also. It had adhesive strips to kind of seal the planks together. My son came and helped hubs lay it so it was down super fast!
Hard workers! Remember we only had a week to do this bathroom in. This was day 4.
Next was using my vintage claw foot tub that I got off the road for sale for $25!!
It was in great shape and only needed the out side repainted. I had found it over a year ago and saved it for my someday remodel. It just happened to be a lot faster then we knew it would. Not sad about that though!
Isn't it so cute! I painted it Gold. This was only one coat on it. I added another coat once installed.
We totally lucked out on the faucet and shower converter kit. I had looked feverishly online and they were expensive and no one could have it here in 3 days. So by pure luck I went on craigslist and there was a brand new kit on there for sale. I messaged right away and high tailed to pick it up! They had bought it and he got cancer s o they were unable to finish the remodel they had planned. Made me feel kind of bad...
They were happy someone would get some use of it. I saved $100 bucks too!
We also made the shower curtain ring out of plumbing. Saved a lot right there.
The bathroom was coming together so fast and actually very reasonable on our budget.
Next was the vanity I had an old dresser I wanted to make into a vanity. I stripped the top and stained it, I sealed it wit General Finish topcoat. It took like seven coats. I probably over did it but there is a lot of water that would be on it!
I painted it with Sweet Pickens Milk paint in sweetie Jane. Love that color!
we cut a hole out to place the sink down into.
Once that was all installed. they put the new toilet in. Never knew I could love a toilet or a shower so much! After not having a true shower for 5 days I was overjoyed to have it!! This was our only bathroom with a shower.
So after 6 days we completed it! Now we have a farmhouse style bath I adore!
My son jokingly refers to it as the back porch as it has so much wood in it! LOL
So here it is!!
The shower curtains I ordered off Amazon I had to have two to fit. I also have three shower liners under them to fit all the way around. The curtain was from Target from the Shabby Chic line. The shelves were from Hobby Lobby. The sconces I got at a flea market for $30 for the pair! I have another pair I will use somewhere else. The mirror I found on a sale sight for $20 SCORE!!
IF you made it through the whole long post Thank You!! I want to say one final thing this entire redo coat us just under $1100 for everything! I know we saved a lot with hubs and son being contractors for that I'm so blessed!
Hope you like my new bath. Thanks for stopping by!